Curating and Sharing articles, blog posts or images is the accepted practice in content marketing.
But curating and sharing “video rich content” is far less common. This is a lost opportunity for content marketers.
Why you need to Change the Content you’re Sharing
83.3% of marketers curate and share content from third party sources – blogs, social media, industry publications or news sites.
The vast majority of the content shared is text or images because there’s a steady supply of this content and it’s easy to find.
But there’s so much text being shared that audiences are overwhelmed by it. They’re in “content shock”.
It’s getting harder for marketers to find a way to stand out.
Unless you change your curation practices to offer something unique to your audience you’ll get lost in the crowd.
How to Share Content that Sparks Engagement
What unique curated content can you offer?
Video Rich Content
What is Video Rich Content?
A Video embedded in a page and surrounded by content
Why Marketers don’t share Video Rich Content
Few marketers curate and share video rich content because it’s harder to find.
1. Videos on any given topic are in limited supply
If you search for a particular topic on YouTube you’ll quickly exhaust the supply of recent, high quality videos that would be appropriate to share with your audience.
2. 70% of Videos are not on YouTube
Creators, including brands, often keep their best videos on their own sites. The videos are embedded in their web pages as part of their content. Much of the time these videos don’t show up in search results so they’re hard to find.
This likely explains why few marketers curate and share video rich content.
5 Ways sharing Video Rich Content makes you Get Noticed
1. You become a “Go To” source for your audience. You get on their radar.
If you share newly published video rich content, people won’t have seen it before.
You provide your audience with the valuable service of finding great video rich content for them.
You save them the time and effort.
2. You become a Trend Setter. Your Audience is Attracted to you.
Your audience with identify you as somebody “in the know” who finds video rich content that’s fresh and new.
You give them video rich content before it becomes popular and gets overshared.
3. You provide your Audience with Social Capital
A recent study by Neil Patel and Buzzsumo of the top 10,000 articles shared on social media found that article titles with the word “Video” had high shares.
Neil’s advice was to post video rich content and include the word “Video” in the title as often as possible.
When you give your audience a steady supply of rich video content you’re giving them a valuable source of social currency.
You’re giving them something new and exciting to share in their social conversations.
Over time, your audience will grow organically as people come to see you as a reliable source of valuable social currency.
4. You provide the mobile friendly content that people desire
Videos are processed by the brain 60,000 times faster than text.
Video rich content is a more efficient way to get information.
One minute of video is equal to 1.8 million words of text.
It’s no surprise that online video accounts for 55% of all mobile traffic and by 2020 is expected to reach 75%.
Video rich content is popular on mobile. 92% of people who watch video on mobile regularly share it with others.
5. You Improve your SEO
This achieves two important objectives:
- Content is an important ranking factor. Video is treated as high quality content that is favoured by search engines.
- The greater the traffic to your site the better its ranking
If your site has rich video content and your site attracts regular traffic this will send the signal to search engines that your site has rich media and it’s relevant to search results.
- Make your curation efforts pay off by sharing video rich video content.
- Be consistent with your curation. Share video rich content every day.
- Dare to be different in the content you share.
- Don’t ignore mobile. Video rich content is tailor made for mobile consumption.
- Find a tool to help you find and share video rich content. MondoPlayer is a tool specially designed for this.
<font-size=”7″>Originally published at MediaVidi.com on February 15, 2017.